November 23, 2011

Dry-Brined Turkey: Day 2


Since its salt rub, the turkey has been hanging out in the fridge and it’s time for the next step. It’s an easy one.

Remove the turkey from the bag. The skin should be moist, but not wet. You shouldn’t see any salt on the skin either. At this point, it should have dissolved.

Place the turkey in the pan you plan on roasting it in. Place it back in the fridge. Do not cover it and make sure it isn’t touching anything (cross-contamination--ew!)

The reason for keeping it uncovered, is to allow the turkey’s skin to dry out a bit. That way it’ll crisp up nicely when roasted. It’s an important step.  Allow the turkey to sit in the fridge like this overnight.


Tomorrow we roast! I’m so excited! I love to eat, a fact I’m sure you noticed.

I’ll post the finished product tomorrow.

I wish everyone a safe and happy thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment