June 19, 2011

American IPA


Instead of our regularly scheduled wine review, I'm presenting you with a beer review. I figured you wouldn't mind. 

I love a good microbrew--a microbrew is a beer brewed at a commercial brewery that produces no more than 15,000 barrels per year--almost as much as I love good wine. One of my favorite styles being the American IPA.

The IPA stands for India Pale Ale, a style developed in England in the 19th century; Amercian IPAs being a bit stronger in flavor, with more pronounced hops, than their British counterparts. American IPAs tend to be quite floral, with citrus notes and a pleasant bitterness. American IPAs may not be labeled specifically as American, but most American brewed IPAs are made in this style. You will also, at times, see this style referred to as a Cascadian Pale Ale.
 
On a recent trip to Colorado, I tasted the Grande River IPA from the San Luis Valley Brewing Company in Alamosa. The ale had a nice floral aroma. It tasted strongly of grapefruit with a mild bitterness and a smooth malty finish. I found it to be well balanced.  Overall, an easy drinking ale.

Beer, like wine, is very food friendly. I would pair--an American IPA--with pork, mild fish, lamb or Indian food. It would also be a great brew to take to a cook out. Perfect during the summer months. 

If you are unable to find the Grande River IPA, I'd recommend taking a risk and trying out a local microbrewed IPA. You may just discover a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment