June 6, 2011

Why Cast Iron?





I haven’t always loved cast iron. In fact, when I inherited my Grandma’s skillet and griddle, I did the unthinkable. I tried to give them away.

Yes, you read that correctly.

I rarely saw my father use his mother’s pans.  I had no idea how to use them or just how great they were. When a friend mentioned his love of cast iron, I quickly offered up Grandma’s pans. Thankfully, he knew they were worth their weight in sentiment (and in practical use.) He declined my offer and I will forever be grateful.

Since then I have picked up several more cast-iron pans. I prefer used, but do have a few new pieces and acquiring them has become a hobby of sorts. I scour thrift stores, antique malls, flea markets and yard sales for older (already seasoned) pans. The hunt is all part of the fun and I like knowing that my collection is usable. I’m a practical girl, after all.

Why do I love my cast-iron pans so much? There are many reasons. They are great for searing, frying and sautéing; they are great for baking; they are inexpensive; they last for generations and it’s nearly impossible to destroy a cast iron pan. More importantly, cast iron is the original non-stick and is much safer than modern non-stick finishes.

Do you love and cook with cast iron?

No comments:

Post a Comment