June 6, 2011

Skillet Cornbread



Southern-style skillet cornbread is a revelation. At least, it was for me. The cornbread of my childhood was a mix that came in a blue, red and white box. You know the one. I hear some people call it cake.

It wasn’t very long ago that I made my first batch of skillet cornbread. The crisp crust and moist, chewy interior almost did me in with the first bite. Heavenly! Who knew that cornbread could be so good without added sugar? I certainly didn’t.

Since that first batch, I’ve been on a quest to find my idea of the perfect recipe. So far, this is it.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups stone-ground coarse cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
4 Tablespoons butter, bacon grease or non-hydrogenated shortening

Method:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs to the buttermilk and whisk to combine.


Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.



Put the butter in a 10” cast-iron skillet and melt over medium heat. 



Once the butter has melted, tilt the pan to coat and pour the excess butter into the batter.  Mix thoroughly. Pour the batter into the hot pan and cook over medium heat for one minute.  


Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until cornbread has browned on top and a skewer comes out clean.



Cut and slather with butter. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you started your blog! My grandmother has offered me her cast iron before, i think its time to take her up on the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited!! I am always blown away by what you are doing in the kitchen! I hope you don't mind but here's my grandma's "East Texas" flare to cornbread! :)

    For a wonderful breakfast treat, add cooked, crumbled sausage to batter before you pour in it the skillet. When done, dip that in syrup....yep it is as good as it sounds! :)

    Love robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. If you cook bacon in your skillet first and then crumble the bacon up, pour in the batter,...well GOOOOOOLLLYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doubled-Thanks. You should definitely take your Grandmother up on her offer.

    Robyn-That sounds amazing. I'll have to try that.

    Trisha-Bacon does make everything better.

    ReplyDelete